We’re halfway through 2021…
…and we know it has been quite the year already.
Now is a great time to reflect on where you are in your year, reassess your goals, and most importantly – send out mail! Our business hasn’t slowed (in fact – we’re growing more than ever) and hope we can help you do the same.
Don’t forget to check out LandInvestors to connect with like-minded investors, ask questions, create partnerships, and more!
As always, this newsletter is for you. Read it, bookmark it, share it, and feel free to let us know if you have any feedback, content suggestions, or questions!
Every week Jill is joined by real estate professionals (and friends) to talk all things REI. We would love to meet you there!
Where: HERE on Clubhouse
When: TODAY June 3rd 1 pm PT
Who: YOU! Clubhouse is now available on Apple and Android, and we have the “hook up” on invites, so if you click the link above you can automatically download and join!
As investors for our own private company, we decide whether we wish to complete a deal through an escrow company/attorney and purchase title insurance or self-close a deal. It’s important to not only understand the process but also set your own comfort level and transaction procedures.
We often hear the terms “title” and “escrow” used synonymously, so it is first important to explain the difference.
“Title” is a shortened term for title insurance which is a form of indemnity insurance that protects the holder from financial loss related todefects in a title to a property. “Escrow” is a service provided where an unrelated third party takes custody of a deed/document for a period and then takes effect when a specified condition has been fulfilled (like money changing hands).
Usually one will hire an escrow company to purchase a property with title insurance although there are times, we complete our own transactions.
What are our criteria for getting title insurance?
- Expensive Properties.We typically get title insurance and close via escrow/attorney when weare purchasing a property for more than $5,000. The reason is because wehave set that as our comfort zone and those less expensive propertiesare often not worthy of title insurance (property is for purely recreational use).
- Transferability Issues.If there is any sort of ownership issue that we cannot easily workthrough, we will close through escrow/attorney and get title insurance.It is not worth the risk of buying a property only to find out that thetransfer of ownership was done incorrectly.
- End User Ready to Build. If the end user aka buyer is purchasing a property with the intent of immediately building on it (SFR, cabin, mobile home etc.), then they will need title insurance as that is a requirement imposed by most construction lenders.
- Other/Simply to Provide Value. At times, we find properties that are worthy of purchasing with title insurance since it will immediately provide value to the buyer. And there is enough profit to justify the added expense.
Why is title insurance even a big deal?
Title insurance is not free, and deals take longer to close while the policy is being completed. Costs range from $500-$1500 and the title search requires going back through the history of the chain of title for a property, often 30-40 years. But the value provides peace of mind for you and your buyer as well as setting up your customer for whatever they plan to do with their purchase. I like to assume they intend to happily use their land for a long time.
Land Academy Career Path is Here
Every month we’re asked for an option to learn 1-on-1 hands-on with Steven and Jill.
A few months Land Academy Career Path is a virtual 10-week program for anyone looking for an individualized path to success. We are only accepting 15 students so that we can really develop a program that is tailored to your specific needs – whether you’re a beginner or an experienced investor.
Are you a member and ready to join? Check your email for information and how to apply – we announced it Thursday!
Not a member? Hang tight! Career Path is open to our members first. If there are any spots left, we will announce via email next week!
We can’t wait for this opportunity to work in a closed setting with you.
A Message From the Offers2Owners Team
Mail Sent In May: 636,223
Properties Purchased: 1,568
Data Pulled: 315,147
Month #6 Summer Madness!
- June is the “Price Is Right” month price all of your mailers right this month whether you’re double checking or using our New product!
- Concierge Data Coming Soon! (Pricing & Scrubbing your Vacant Land Lists) learn more about the product by catching Steven Butala’s “Jack Thursday’s” Today on Land Academy Youtube HERE!
Fun Fact From O2O:
Can I bring my own template?
Yes you can, we only require that you provide it in an Word format and that you follow the guidelines on margins and placements for the Return and Mailing addresses.Which you can find HERE!
If you have questions, or need help getting started?
Want to learn more about how this works?
Check out some of our favorite recent ones!
We have an OFFICIAL Land Academy group chat via a Discord server for all active members.This is a way for us to keep in touch, make connections, and get instant access to each other in between weekly calls.
The link to join the discord group chat is in your welcome email. If you lost your welcome email don’t worry, just email support and they will send you the Discord link. We also have Discord chats for the members-only women group and the accountability group.
If you haven’t joined in, then what are you waiting for! Our email is email@example.com.
Don’t miss out on Land Academy’s Discord Group Chat!
|The link to join the discord group chat is in your welcome email.
If you lost your welcome email don’t worry, just email support and they will send you the Discord link. We also have Discord chats for the members-only women group and the accountability group.
If you haven’t joined in, then what are you waiting for? Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have Suggestions for Membership?
- Is there a site or tool you use that you think we should add?
- Want us to develop a certain type of tool?
- Is there something missing from our current sites that you want added?
- Have specific content ideas?
We’re all ears! We’re always adding to membership and improving on what we always have, and we know that you have great ideas!
You can always email us at email@example.com with any suggestions or ideas.
Land Academy members now have access to all DataTree reports from within your account. Check out a little bit of what is available to you below, and see your Member Guide for a full list of reports as well as pricing and billing information.
Revisit, Recycle, and Repurpose
Do you ever feel like you’ve run out of things to post about? And when you finally think of something, you realize you’ve already posted about it before? You’re not alone.In the age of never-ending content, there’s a lot of pressure to put out unique, engaging posts on a daily basis. It’s easy to get burnt out and experience creative blocks. Here’s a little secret though – not ALL of your content has to be completely new or unique! The trick is to occasionally revisit old content and figure out creative ways to recycle or repurpose them. We revisit, recycle and repurpose the same content ALL THE TIME!If you’re still hesitant about posting “the same old stuff” – here’s three reasons why you absolutely should:
- There are always going to be people who didn’t see a certain post about a certain topic the first time around. As your audience grows, you need to be mindful of that and make sure that everybody receives the same knowledge/message!
- Repetition is the mother of learning. People need to see or hear the same message multiple times for it to really stick.
- The “same old stuff” doesn’t have to just be the “same old stuff.” There are so many different ways to present a message and you should try all of them! It makes for great content and it caters to your audience.
– Marketing Team
Join our Facebook Groups!
Land Academy: Real Estate Investing (Land Academy)
House Academy: Real Estate Investing (House Academy)
Offer2Owners: Offers2Owners Group
This month’s question (more success story) came from Lucas over on LandInvestors.
My offer was for a property that was already listed. The seller and I couldn’t agree on a price. However, he had a tiny parcel in a nearby county that he was also wanting to get rid of. It was so tiny that I wasn’t sure if anything could be done with it, but it was right downtown in a nice community directly off main street. City zoning allows for trailers and modular homes, so I went for it
We agreed on a price. Closed quickly. I put it up for sale. I put up a for sale sign and it was under contract to sell within a week. Never even had time to get my posting online. Bought for $3,800 and sold for $9,000. Now I have enough cash to go back and try some deals that I missed from my first mailer. Again, I owe a debt of gratitude to this community.
Check out and listen to Steven and Jill’s reponse HERE.
Our Member Spotlight this month is Laurie Phillips!
Laurie has had about eleven companies under her belt. While Laurie has blown us away with how she has applied CFFL and made it her own.
You can find her actively helping people on Landinvestors.com and the discord. Her best advice is to educate yourself, call the counties and escrow companies.
We’re especially excited to announce that Laurie is going to be helping us lead the Land Academy Accountability Groups – so if you sign up you’ll get to work pretty closely with her.
(Pro Tip: Laurie LOVES to fund your deals)
Listen to her talk with Steven and Jill about how she went full force in the land business and has grown her business dramatically HERE!
If you want an opportunity to attend one of the weekly closed member calls to get a taste of what we’re about, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org